6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
Dr Wong Zhi Hoong
Dr Wong Zhi Hoong
- Summer semester B 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
The unit aims to connect students with a range of issues and topics under the purview of the arts and social sciences in the Malaysian context. In the process students will be required to intellectually engage with, and critically reflect on, a wide variety of 'real world' problems that fall under the umbrella of any of the following categories: society, politics, culture, development, identity and environment.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- recognise and analyse the intersections of various issues (e.g. society and politics, culture and development, identity and environment etc.) in the Malaysian context;
- evaluate the impact of various factors on the exacerbation of, and solution to, identified case-studies;
- develop skills, tools, and mindsets for conducting research in the Arts and Social Sciences;
- apply theoretical knowledge in engaging with 'real world' problems.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information