12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester B 2019 (On-campus)
- The unit has an internship component - contact the Unit Coordinator for further information.
- The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
Students are provided with an opportunity to undertake a supervised internship in the media industry. Prior to the start of semester students are responsible for identifying and contacting a suitable industry partner and arranging the placement as well as seeking approval from the unit co-ordinator. Their research topic should be worked out in consultation with the unit coordinator and the industry partner. Students should intern with the industry partner for no less than four weeks and not more than eight weeks. Students are not permitted to undertake the project in their usual place of work.
- To develop awareness of the range of social and professional contexts in which communication occurs;
- To develop an understanding of communication as a set of practices and to identify common features within these practices;
- To introduce some of the major ways in which communication and media have been understood at a theoretical level;
- To consider the relation between theory and practice in the field of communication and an appreciation of how they can productively inform each other;
- To introduce communications and media studies as a basis for further graduate study and professional practice in the field.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester, including a minimum of 152-hours of internship
See also Unit timetable information