12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
APG4409, APG5409, AMG4409
The unit equips students with applied skills in research design, research methods and ethical research practice. Students are taught the elements of good research design, various qualitative and quantitative research methods, and the marks of ethical research practices.
On successful completion of the unit, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge, skills and attributes necessary for understanding and engaging in advanced research;
- Increased understanding of the methods of communication research;
- Increased understanding of approaches to planning and designing research, and to writing and editing research;
- Increased knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary for independent research, enhanced capacity to formulate and research communication issues, to analyse and evaluate arguments, and to understand critical approaches to the planning, writing and editing of research;
- Enhanced intellectual independence, and greater self-reliance and critical distance in academic and professional research activity;
- Significantly increased capacity to design, manage, and carry out research projects.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information