Honours studies in this area will advance students' knowledge and competencies in the discipline of literary studies.
Students are required to complete 48 points of study comprising a thesis, a compulsory coursework unit and one elective coursework unit. The coursework units and the thesis topic are chosen in consultation with the literary studies honours coordinator.
Intending honours students
Intending honours students are encouraged to consult as early as possible with the literary studies honours coordinator in planning their major. Students should choose units providing them with:
- an understanding of the nature and construction of the discipline, including its historical and contemporary forms
- a familiarity with a range of literary genres across a broad historical and cultural spectrum
- an understanding of contemporary and historical modes of literary and critical theory
In particular, intending honours students who wish to undertake a creative writing thesis are strongly encouraged to complete the following units in their major:
- ATS2508 Introduction to poetry writing
- ATS2517 Introduction to fiction writing
- ATS3509 Advanced poetry writing
- ATS3518 Advanced fiction writing
This course comprises 48 points: Part A: Research (24 points) and Part B: Coursework (24 points)
Units are 12 points unless otherwise indicated.
Part A. Research (24 points)
Students complete one of the following in their chosen discipline:
Part B. Coursework (24 points)
and one of:
- ATS4137 Special reading unit 1 (Honours)
- ATS4348 Theme and genre in literary studies
- ATS4388Not offered in 2019 Special topic in literary studies
A3701 Bachelor of Arts (Honours)