12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
Students write a comprehensive work proposal outlining the theme of their research, its intent and the means by which it will be expressed. The proposal should also place the work in the context of historical and contemporary practice, including reference to specific artists of particular relevance. Students complete a folio of art work and keep a journal in relation to the set projects. Studio practice may be undertaken in complementary areas such as painting, photography and sculpture.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- be able to evaluate critically their own work and that of others within historical and contemporary contexts and be able to express this in both written and oral form
- be able to produce a body of work which indicates the development and synthesis of a personal visual language expressing a conceptual integrity
- be able to produce work of a high degree of resolution regarding technical elements and presentation
- be able to work independently
- have a curiosity and method of inquiry which enables them to question and discuss the issues relevant to current art theory, practice and contemporary culture.
Folio: 80% + Journal: 20%
8 studio hours and 16 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information