12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
Independent research into historical and contemporary concepts related to individual work. General aspects and themes including metaphor, myth, narrative, imagination/fantasy, the spiritual, sign and symbol. Consolidation of relevant technical and procedural processes. Students complete a folio of art work and keep a journal in relation to the set projects. Studio practice may be undertaken in complementary areas such as painting, photography and sculpture.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have a working general knowledge of historical and contemporary concepts related to their own work and that of their peers and be able to articulate these concepts
- have a conceptual framework for their own work
- know how to begin to consolidate and resolve technical and procedural processes relevant to their work
- have a high level of independence with regard to researching ideas and source material
- have a broad interest and appreciation of contemporary art practice and culture.
Folio: 80% + Journal: 20%
8 studio hours and 16 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information