6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Online)
This unit will examine ICT and the hardware infrastructure that underpins secure delivery of the software applications and the robustness required to deliver modern health services. Picture Archive and Communication Systems (PACS) and Radiology Information Systems (RIS) are two health applications to be covered more in depth, together with an overview of other health related software applications such as the Electronic Patient Record (EPR). Students will also explore project and change management principles and learn how they can be applied more specifically to advanced medical radiation practice.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe their obligations in relation to Patient Health Record Privacy and Security.
- Explain how knowledge of ICT terminology and practices facilitates more effective outcomes for users of health services.
- Distinguish between the various components of the IT infrastructure including Network, Virtual Server environment and ICT support mechanisms.
- Critically evaluate the roles and interdependencies of the software applications of PACS and RIS, and their relationship with other health IT applications.
- Apply the principles of Project Management and Change Management methodologies in their work.
- Demonstrate how health informatics functions across the wider health domain and how integration is applied.
- Create Business Continuity Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans for their Health IT applications.
- 3 x Medical imaging data management case based assignments (30% each). The deliverables incorporates 1,500 words report for each and a 200 words Wiki-based reflection exercise (10% of the assessment).
- 2 x Online quizzes (10%)
Off-campus: 6 hours per week of direct engagement in the learning materials and 6 hours of self-directed study for 12 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Radiography and medical imaging