12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Online)
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit is designed for health care professionals who aspire to lead the management, design and delivery of health care services and/or develop health care programs in a clinical context that improve patient outcomes.
This unit focuses on the necessary knowledge, skills and behaviours for advanced health care practice. The unit examines key issues for the advanced health care professional, including:
- medico-legal issues in compliance, competency, and credentialing;
- professional behaviour and interprofessional practice;
- using research frameworks and clinical practice guidelines as evidence to inform practice;
- quality, patient safety, patient experiences, and benchmarking;
- delivering and evaluating patient and consumer centred health care and communication within digital and practice settings;
- the advanced practitioner as educator of patients, consumers and peers and
- leadership in implementing practice change.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Examine the roles and medico-legal responsibilities of advanced health care practitioners within their professional settings;
- Differentiate between ethical, inter-professional and cultural dimensions of professional behaviour;
- Examine the use of information and communication technology in advanced health care practice ;
- Review risk management strategies and plans for the prevention of adverse events;
- Apply benchmarking and patient experience studies to quality improvements;
- Apply principles of implementation science to lead change within health care practice;
- Apply evidence summaries and clinical practice guidelines to the review and implementation of complex health care interventions;
- Design an evaluation plan to investigate the outcomes and effectiveness of a complex health care intervention or practice;
- Design learner-centered educational activities appropriate to their practice setting.
- Assessment task 1: iSAP (20%) (2000 words);
- Assessment task 2: Case Study (15%) (2000 words);
- Assessment task 3: Discussion Forum (10%) (1500 words) hurdle;
- Assessment task 4: Evidence Review (25%) (2500 words) hurdle;
- Assessment task 5: Learning & Teaching Plan (30%) (3000 words) hurdle.
Hurdle Requirement: Please provide a statement outlining why each hurdle requirement is being used.
For this distance education unit, students are expected to undertake their work during private study time.
Students will be expected to log onto Moodle on a regular basis for announcements and updates.
Students will need to undertake readings (available via Moodle) and view online materials (e.g. PowerPoint/audio/visual material). Students will also be required to undertake regular formative activities.
Students will be required to undertake all assessment activities as these are all hurdle requirements to ensure that all learning objectives are covered.
The assessments will require preparation ranging from readings, writing and undertaking online activities (quizzes and forum discussions).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study