12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
School of Physics and Astronomy
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
PHS4210 and PHS4220 together, are equivalent to PHS4200 but they enable students to study part time by allowing completion of the work over a longer time period.
Students are required to select three sub-units (covering advanced coursework topics) from offerings within the School of Physics and Astronomy. These sub-units are to be selected in consultation with the student's academic supervisor. Some sub-units may be chosen from outside the School - with permission from the Honours coordinator.
Students will also complete a literature review (spanning PHS4210 and PHS4220) related to the research project component of their Honours course.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of physics and related disciplines;
- Synthesise and interpret their knowledge;
- Apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills to the solution of complex problems.
- Plan, and efficiently carry out, work requirements.
- Make effective use of information and communication technology for the collection and analysis of data, the solution of problems and the presentation of their work;
- Understand, use and explain the basic concepts and principles of the research literature which underpins their chosen area of research in physics.
Three lecture topics (a mixture of assignments and examinations:30% each): 90%
Literature review: 10%
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Admission to honours in the discipline of physics