24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
School of Physics and Astronomy
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
Students are required to select six sub-units (covering advanced coursework topics) from offerings within the School of Physics and Astronomy. These sub-units are to be selected in consultation with the student's academic supervisor. Some sub-units may be chosen from outside the School - with permission from the honours coordinator.
Students will also complete a literature review related to the research project component of their honours course.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of physics and related disciplines;
- Synthesise and interpret their knowledge;
- Apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills to the solution of complex problems.
- Plan, and efficiently carry out, work requirements.
- Make effective use of information and communication technology for the collection and analysis of data, the solution of problems and the presentation of their work;
Students will also be able to:
- Understand, use and explain the basic concepts and principles of the research literature which underpins their chosen area of research in physics.
Six lecture topics (a mixture of assignments and examinations: 15% each): 90%
Literature review 10%
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Admission to honours in the discipline of physics.