6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
School of Nursing and Midwifery
This unit is quota restricted. Selection is on a first-in, first enrolled basis.
- Second semester 2017 (Flexible)
This unit builds on concepts and content from NUR5706 perioperative Nursing Practice 1 to enable the student to develop a deeper understanding of issues related to specific surgical specialty areas including orthopaedics, neurosurgery, endovascular and cardiothoracic surgery.
The unit will prepare the student for the complexities of embracing new and emerging technologies such as robotic surgery in the perioperative care context.
Students will evaluate the impact of disease, socio-economic and cultural factors on the provision of surgical care and relate these impacts to the provision of surgical care in rural and remote settings.
This unit will also prepare the student to provide advanced perioperative care during unpredictable complex scenarios involving trauma, burns and organ and tissue donation.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Critically analyse the key issues surrounding organ and tissue donation from the perspective of health professionals, patients and their families.
- Apply the ethics of public health decision making to the perioperative context.
- Evaluate the impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on perioperative healthcare.
- Analyse the variations in clinical manifestations and influencing factors of complex surgical specialties and relate these to patient care.
- Assess and evaluate the factors influencing the provision of perioperative care in the rural and remote setting.
- Critically appraise how interdisciplinary team communication influences clinical decision making.
Students must be employed in a perioperative unit 0.6EFT
- Perioperative Case Study (2,000 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Written examination (2 hours) (40%) (hurdle)
- Clinical performance appraisal (pass/fail) (20%) (hurdle)
12 hours per week of either contact time or private study
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery