6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is quota restricted. Selection is on a first-in, first enrolled basis.
- First semester 2017 (Flexible)
This unit builds on the skills and knowledge of the Registered Nurse working in a perioperative specialisation.
The perioperative nurse requires a diverse knowledge base in order to effectively assess and appropriately manage patients in the perioperative setting.
This unit will enable the student to develop foundational knowledge of perioperative nursing and explore influences on care delivery in elective and emergency situations.
The content will provide opportunities for students to analyse the impact of regulatory standards and changing roles in the operative setting and to analyse complex perioperative situations from a legal and ethical perspective.
The impact of microbiology and research on the provision of an advanced level of care to perioperative patients will also be covered in this unit.
The unit will prepare students to provide evidence based patient centred care through the perioperative journey from surgical trigger through the pre, intra and post-operative settings using a case based themed curriculum.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of microbiology and asepsis in the context of safe perioperative specialty practice.
- Evaluate patient assessment findings to plan and implement pre, intra and postoperative care.
- Apply the principles of person centred care to the patient journey in specialty practice.
- Analyse the role of regulatory standards and codes of practice in the provision of safe quality driven perioperative care.
- Evaluate the impact of evidence based practice and technological advances on patient care and safety in the perioperative context.
- Describe the principles used to prioritise care and manage the deteriorating surgical patient.
- Perioperative Patient Care Plan (2,000 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Written examination (2 hours) (40%) (hurdle)
- Clinical performance appraisal (pass/fail) (20%) (hurdle)
12 hours per week of either contact time or private study
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery