12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Please note, this unit has had the following change/s during 2017: amendment to co-requisite and unit coordinator and chief examiner.
For previous handbook information please contact the Faculty office.
The unit provides students with the opportunity to implement the research proposal developed in NUR4402. Students will further develop a literature review, finalise ethical approval for their research, and collect, organise and manage the data for the study. With their research supervisors, students will explore a range of issues that can arise during the research process.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- generate a critical review of the literature and theoretical frameworks relevant to their field of study;
- accurately collect, manage and secure data for research activities;
- demonstrate an awareness of ethical and privacy issues as they apply to their research proposal;
- work collaboratively with a research supervisor to achieve research milestones (e.g. submission of ethics proposal);
- finalise the ethics approval process for the project;
- respond appropriately to the realities of research project issues including identification of a research site (or sites) and recruitment of participants;
- conduct a pilot study (if appropriate) to anticipate and address practical problems that may arise in the course of data collection;
- undertake data collection both accurately and ethically;
- discuss issues arising during the research process;
- demonstrate effective progress towards research plan;
- write to an academic standard by incorporating existing research findings and supervisor feedback; and
- present research findings in a seminar context.
- Research report (3,500 - 4,000 words) (Hurdle)
- Oral presentation (15 minutes) (Hurdle)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Students enrolling in NUR4403 must be enrolled in Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) (1249 or M3704) or Graduate Diploma of Health and Science Research (M5021)