12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Please note, this unit has had the following change/s during 2017: amendment to co-requisite.
For previous handbook information please contact the Faculty office.
This unit provides students with the opportunity to encounter a challenging research environment through the interaction of philosophical paradigms and extension of theoretical knowledge and acquisitions of skills to facilitate the undertaking of a research project. The unit will build upon knowledge gained in core undergraduate research units. Students will be allocated a research supervisor to begin formulating research questions and methodology for subsequent study.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- evaluate and utilise appropriate philosophical foundations of research;
- distinguish and critique quantitative and qualitative methodologies;
- develop and utilise research skills in the following areas:
- advanced online searching;
- documentation management;
- data collection methods and analysis; and
- begin formulating research question and proposed study.
- Written assessment (3,500 - 4,000 words) (60%)
- Oral presentation (40%)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Students enrolling in NUR4401 must be enrolled in Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) (M3704) or Graduate Diploma of Health and Science Research (M5021)