6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Glen Croy (Caulfield)
Ms Adlina Ahmad (Malaysia)
This unit will concentrate on the nature and need for international strategy; the internationalisation process; the context of international strategy; regional strategy; the dynamics of international competition; role of culture in international strategy; corporate control of global corporations and strategic forms of multinational corporations (MNCs); international strategy in services; modes and patterns of international expansion and the management of international strategic cooperation; international strategy and learning; MNCs political strategies; international strategy process and success of international strategies; managing supply chain in the international arena.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the concepts and use basic tools for competitive analysis and strategic planning in the international environment
- identify strategies for SMEs and multinational organisations to operate in a global setting
- analyse the opportunities and risks involved in international strategic management and evaluate the impact different modes of foreign operations have on the internationalising organisation
- describe the influence of various stakeholders on the internationalising firm
- identify how internal operations impact on the internationalisation process.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information