18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Students on placement participate full time in a defined, graduate level role during a 22-week placement period at established partners of the Faculty of IT industry based learning program including major global companies, leading Australian companies and worldwide consultancies. The students on placement apply the knowledge, skills and practices of professional attitudes and behaviour developed in their academic units. They develop communication, time management, self-reflection and customer service skills in business situations, experience and participate professionally in the corporate environment and obtain feedback from experienced supervisors on their performance.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- set achievable and measurable goals;
- identify useful theoretical knowledge that has been covered in prior coursework and knowledge that has not yet been covered;
- develop and practice professional skills and attitudes including: initiative, communication, time-management and teamwork skills in a business environment;
- develop solutions to business problems using information technology and other techniques;
- prepare documentation and written reports of a professional standard;
- address performance improvement opportunities identified by industry supervisors and self-assess opportunities for personal development;
- develop information technology skills (such as business process modelling, performance enhancement of installed software, updating current software and developing new software) in a complex, corporate business environment.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Students on placement are deployed full-time for 22 weeks with the industry partners of the Faculty of IT industry-based learning program in a graduate level role within the company.
See also Unit timetable information
Available to students accepted into the Bachelor of Business Information Systems industry based learning stream at Clayton campus and students in all undergraduate degrees of the Faculty of IT who have been accepted into the Industry-based learning Placement program with at least 72 credit points of study accumulated towards a Faculty of Information Technology undergraduate degree.
For 2016 degrees: This unit is available to students accepted into the Bachelor Information Technology degree at Clayton campus and students in all undergraduate degrees of the Faculty of Information Technology who have been accepted into the Industry-based learning placement program with at least 72 credit points of study accumulated towards a Faculty of Information Technology undergraduate degree.
Prerequisite units for BCS and BInfoTech students: FIT1049 or equivalent
For BInfoTech students completing the Business Information Systems major: FIT1013