6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces programming fundamentals and the C++ language to students. The unit provides a foundational understanding of program design and implementation of algorithms to solve simple problems. Fundamental programming control structures, built in and complex data-types and mechanisms for modularity will be presented in C++. This unit also places a focus on object-oriented design principles, using object-oriented design as a process for program design and problem solving. More advanced object-oriented programming topics such as inheritance and polymorphism will also be covered. Other C++ fundamentals such as pointers and the STL will be presented, as will implementations of algorithms and data structures used in problem solving.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- design, implement, compile, execute and debug programs using fundamental C++ constructs;
- apply fundamental programming control structures, including conditional statements, iteration and recursion to solve programming problems;
- apply object-oriented design principles, including inheritance and polymorphism, to solve programming problems;
- create C++ programs using pointers to demonstrate an understanding of efficient memory use and management;
- troubleshoot C++ program code using an Integrated Development Environment and its tools.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours lectures
- Two hours laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 2-3 hours of personal study per one hour of lecture time in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Mobile apps developments