18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Students on placement participate full time in a defined, graduate level role during a 22-week placement period at established partners of the Faculty of Information Technology industry based learning program including major global companies, leading Australian companies and worldwide consultancies. The students on placement apply the knowledge, skills and practices of professional attitudes and behaviour developed in their academic units. They develop communication, time management and customer service skills in business situations, experience and participate professionally in the corporate environment and obtain feedback from experienced supervisors on their performance.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- set achievable and measurable goals;
- develop and practice professional skills and attitudes including: initiative, communication, time-management and teamwork skills in a business environment;
- develop solutions to business problems using information technology and other techniques;
- prepare documentation and written reports of a professional standard;
- address performance improvement opportunities identified by industry supervisors;
- develop information technology skills (such as business process modelling, performance enhancement of installed software, updating current software and developing new software) in a complex, corporate business environment.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Students are on placement full-time for 22 weeks with the partners of the industry based learning program in a graduate level role within the company.
See also Unit timetable information
Available to students in all undergraduate degrees of the Faculty of IT who have been accepted into the Industry-based learning stream or Placement program with at least 72 credit points of study accumulated towards a Faculty of Information Technology undergraduate degree.
Prerequisite units for BBIS students: (FIT1040 or FIT1002) and FIT1013 and FIT2003. Prerequisite units for BSE, BCS and BITS students commencing prior to 2016: (FIT1040 or FIT1002) and FIT2003.
Prerequisite units for BSE, BCS and BInfoTech students: One of FIT1045, FIT1048, FIT1051 or ENG1003.
Prerequisite units for BCS and BInfoTech students: FIT1049 or equivalent
For BInfoTech students completing the Business Information Systems major: FIT1013