12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
All students will undertake a Professional Studies topic and one core topic defined by the School, as well as three elective topics from specialised areas of chemistry, such as pericyclic reactions, separation science, advanced organic synthesis, main group inorganic chemistry, supramolecular chemistry, computational chemistry and electron microscopy. Each topic will require students to attend 8 lecture equivalents making a total of 48 lecture equivalents for the unit. Further information is available from the course coordinator and at a meeting held with prospective students during second semester of third year.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Develop a realistic experimental plan, including a timeline, for the research project undertaken in CHM4100;
- Appreciate and outline the key principals in Intellectual Property as it relates to the discipline and the CHM4100 research project;
- Use and critically evaluate the extant OHS software;
- Efficiently and competently use appropriate bibliographic software (eg. EndNote);
- Explain the operation of, and where relevant and appropriate, competently use, the equipment discussed in the Workshops component of this course;
- Demonstrate an appropriate high level of understanding of the material presented in the selected lecture modules - this understanding is demonstrated through the relevant assessment tasks.
Combination of examination and/or assignment (depending on the topic): 100% + Please consult the course coordinator about the assessment of individual topics.