36 points, SCA Band 2, 0.750 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
Students undertake a supervised research project in a specialised area of chemistry. Candidates may commence the honours year at the beginning of either first or second semester. Further information is available from the course coordinator and at a meeting held with prospective students during second semester of third year.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Critically review the scientific literature in their discipline;
- Understand, discuss and actively participate in the design, development and implementation of a research project;
- Execute, analyse and evaluate a set of laboratory-based exercises, showing an improved ability to work with minimal supervision and to implement their own ideas;
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer-based literature searching word processing and other computer programs commonly used in their chosen chemistry discipline;
- Experience then discuss the breadth and diversity of the chemical sciences, specifically through, but not limited to, attendance at seminars;
- Demonstrate proficiency in safe work practices for a chemical laboratory, including the use of MSDS and the performance of risk assessments;
- Synthesise and present in a format suitable for the discipline, experimental results and data analysis associated with the research project;
- Present orally the scientific research findings to an appropriate expert audience;
- Integrate the research findings from the project into the larger context of research in that particular field, primarily through completion of the required thesis;
- Demonstrate the capability to learn new technical skills within the research project ambit and use these proficiently and safely.
Research Project with a written report in thesis form and oral defence and 2 x 15 minute oral presentations on the students research during the Honours year: 100%
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Completion of a Chemistry major and 24 points of CHM3XXX units