6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
To be advised
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
BMH4210 year aims to develop analytic abilities and critical thinking skills as well as provide students with advanced knowledge in specific areas of Biomedical Science. Students will choose to undertake one of the five modules within BMH4210 that relates to the discipline area of their research project. Each module within the unit BMH4210 will include common coursework activities and a common assessment regime. Students will attend a lecture/seminar series and will undertake technical training on data analysis and interpretation relating to the discipline area. Students will critique a journal article, which is distinct from their research topic in BMH4110, in written or oral format.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Critically review scientific literature in the discipline area of research;
- Apply knowledge of current methodologies and concepts to appraise scientific literature in the discipline area;
- Apply analytical and data analysis techniques relevant to the discipline area of research;
- Effectively communicate concepts in the discipline area of research both in writing and orally.
Advanced discipline theory work: 40%
Advanced technical training: 60%
To be advised by Honours coordinator
See also Unit timetable information
To be advised
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
A major sequence in one of the following disciplines:
Biochemistry, Biochemistry and molecular biology, Microbiology, Developmental Biology, Immunology, Immunology and human pathology, Immunology and microbiology, Microbiology, Microbiology and molecular biology, Pharmacology, and Physiology. Students with other majors may be eligible with approval of the Head of School.
BCH4210, BMS4200, DEV4210, IMB4210, MIC4210, PHA4210, PHY4210