18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
To be advised
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
Students will undertake a supervised research project of a publishable standard. Candidates may commence the Honours year at the beginning of either the first or second semester. Students will research literature relevant to their topic, carry out a research project and present the results of their study in both written and oral form. Information about the research projects is available from the course coordinator and at information sessions held during the second semester of third year.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Critically review the scientific literature that underpins the area of the research project;
- Undertake a supervised research project and contribute to project design and management;
- Apply appropriate laboratory techniques, research methodologies and data analysis methods to collect, interpret and report research findings;
- Effectively present research and findings orally showing a firm grasp of the area;
- Analyse research undertaken in the context of the discipline area and report findings in an extended written report.
Assessment will be the submission of a research thesis and thesis review and the presentation of a seminar(s) about the research project and findings.
To be advised by Honours coordinator
See also Unit timetable information
To be advised
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
A major sequence in one of the following disciplines:
Biochemistry, Biochemistry and molecular biology, Microbiology, Developmental Biology, Immunology, Immunology and human pathology, Immunology and microbiology, Microbiology, Microbiology and molecular biology, Pharmacology, and Physiology. Students with other majors may be eligible with approval of the Head of School.
BCH4110, BMS4100, DEV4110, IMB4110, MIC4110, PHA4110, PHY4110