36 points, SCA Band 2, 0.750 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
Students will undertake a supervised research project. Students will carry out a research project and present the results of their study in both written and oral form. Information about research projects will be available from the course coordinator towards the end of the preceding semester.
On completion of this unit students will have demonstrated a high level of understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects in the research area of tropical environmental biology, and will be able to:
- Critically review the scientific literature in the discipline;
- Understand, discuss and actively participate in the design, development and implementation of a research project;
- Demonstrate skills in experimental design and in specialised techniques for laboratory and/or fieldwork in tropical biology;
- Synthesise and present in a format suitable for the discipline, experimental results and statistical data analysis associated with the research project;
- Present the scientific research findings orally to an appropriate expert audience;
- Integrate the research findings from the project into the larger context of research in that particular field, primarily through completion of the required thesis;
- Demonstrate the capability to learn new technical skills in the laboratory and/or the field and use these proficiently and safely.
Oral presentation: 7%
Students are required to present and attend Honours proposals and final presentations. Students must attend a two-day Honours induction program during orientation week.
See also Unit timetable information