6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The philosophy of science. Writing and assessing scientific papers and reports. The analysis and interpretation of biological data, especially the design and analysis of experiments. This unit is a pre-requisite unit for Honours in Biology (BIO4100 and BIO4200).
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Explain the basic principles underlying the philosophy of science;
- Design testable hypotheses and predictions in biological investigations;
- Demonstrate critical, analytical skills in writing, assessing and publishing scientific papers and reports and interpretation of biological data;
- Evaluate and determine the suitability of different statistical approaches to analyse biological data;
- Apply current techniques of statistical analysis.
Theory examination (2.5 hours): 50%
Practical examination (2 hours): 25%
Practical work and assignments: 25%
Two 1-hour lectures and equivalent of 3 hours laboratory/tutorials per week
See also Unit timetable information