6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester A 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
The unit is designed to provide students with the conceptual foundations of the functions and institutions of the international financial system. To impart an understanding and appreciation of the current issues underlying the international area of finance, and to develop a practical understanding of the markets and financial techniques used by international banks and multinational organisations. To develop a practical understanding and appreciation of cultural differences within the area of international banking and finance through an overseas visitation program.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- compare and contrast the structure of banking and financial markets internationally through an international study program
- explain parity theories and their application to foreign exchange markets
- develop a practical understanding and appreciation of culture in the development of national banking and finance activities
- evaluate academic and professional papers in international banking and finance
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills in individual and/or group activities dealing with international banking and finance.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed one of the following before undertaking this unit: AFC2140, BFB2140, BFC2140, BFF2140, BFP2140, BFW2140, AFF2401, BFF2401, AFF2631, BFF2631, AFG2631, BFG2631, AFW2401, BFW2401, BFW2631 or AFW2631
AFX3551, ACX3551, AFX3871