6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Time value of money, Theory of valuation, capital budgeting, portfolio theory and the capital asset pricing model, efficient market theory, cost of capital, capital structure and dividend policy.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- apply the concept of the time value of money and other project evaluation techniques
- explain and apply portfolio theory and the capital asset pricing model
- measure a firm's cost of capital
- describe dividend policy and its relevance to the value of a firm
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with financial management.
Within semester assessment: 30% + Examination: 70%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed AFW1000, ACW1000, AFW1001 (pre 2009) AFG1000 or ACG1000 before undertaking this unit.
AFC2140, BFC2140, AFF2631, BFF2631, AFW3044, BFF2631, AFW2631, BFW2631, BFB2631, AFG2631