6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit consolidates and extends fundamental skills in composition developed in ATS1046 Composition 1. Students further develop technical skills by writing well-structured single movement works that demonstrate knowledge of extended techniques for acoustic instruments and computer-aided approaches to composition. Students also learn how to respond with differentiated compositional ideas to a set concept. This prepares students for the study of intermediate level compositional techniques in the next unit in the sequence, ATS2127 Composition 3.
Upon completion of this unit, students are able to:
- Demonstrate the fundamental conventions of music notation;
- Apply fundamental compositional techniques to the writing of well-structured single movement works;
- Apply fundamental knowledge concerning the sonic possibilities of extended techniques for acoustic instruments;
- Understand the specific applications of computer-aided approaches to composition;
- Respond with differentiated compositional ideas to a set concept.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1046 OR ATS1349
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition or Ethnomusicology and musicology specialisations.