6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
Associate Professor Thomas Reiner
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit draws together students from various levels of musical experience at pre-tertiary level and consolidates fundamental skills in composition. Students develop technical skills by writing short musical works that demonstrate knowledge of acoustic instruments and composition-related music technology skills. Students also learn how to respond with relevant compositional ideas to a set concept and this enables them to explore other compositional techniques in the next unit in the sequence, ATS1047 Composition 2.
Upon completion of the unit, students are able to:
- Demonstrate the fundamental conventions of music notation;
- Demonstrate fundamental compositional techniques required for the writing of short works;
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic composition-related music technology skills;
- Understand the possibilities and limitations of acoustic instruments;
- Respond with relevant compositional ideas to a set concept.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition or Ethnomusicology and musicology specialisations.