This specialisation will prepare you to teach infants and children from birth to five years of age in childcare, kindergartens and preschools. The curriculum spans birth to eight years of age and you will actively engage with contemporary theories, concepts and practices of early years education, developing inclusive practices to meet a diversity of children's needs and building a repertoire of strategies to manage children's learning and to support children's transition to school. You will develop a deep understanding of the social and cultural contexts of early years provision for children, develop skills to work with families and communities, and learn to identify the range of local and international early years services available to practitioners.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Orientation studies (24 points)
- EDF4120 Learning at the heart of teaching
- EDF4121 Teaching: The power to change
- EDF4122 Teaching partnerships: Working with families and communities
- EDF4123 Literacy across the years
Part B. Specialist education studies and Part C. Professional practice (72 points)
The professional experience units below require 60 days of professional experience, in four blocks of 15 days, completed in early childhood settings.
For specialist studies (54 points) students complete:
- EDF5016 Inclusive teaching
- EDF5018 Curriculum, assessment and reporting
- EDF5020 Early years numeracy and critical thinking
- EDF5021 Lenses on child development
- EDF5022 Science, technology and sustainability in early years
- EDF5023 Creative development for children
- EDF5024 Play and pedagogy
- EDF5025 Early childhood policy transformations
- EDF5026 Early years wellbeing and workplace safety
For professional studies (18 points) students complete:
- EDF5019 Teacher as professional leader
- EDF5925 Early years professional experience 1 (0 points)
- EDF5926 Early years professional experience 2 (0 points)
- EDF5927 Early years professional experience 3 (0 points)
- EDF5935 Primary professional experience 5 (0 points)
and one of the following:
- EDF5099 Education research project (12 points)*
- a master's unit chosen from the elective list below (12 points)
* This unit is only available by invitation, dependent on the results achieved in the course. It may provide a pathway to a research degree.
Note: This elective list will change from time to time and not all units are available on every campus, every semester or every year. Some units are offered in flexible mode.
- EDF5632 Understanding inclusion in learning communities
- EDF5640 Language, culture and curriculum
- EDF5641 Pedagogy and assessment in TESOL
- EDF5642 Bilingualism and content-based programs
- EDF5645 Educating the gifted
- EDF5646 Talent development and diversity
- EDF5647 Technology and education key issues and debates
- EDF5648 Instructional design: Harnessing digital technologies for learning
- EDF5649 Language and literacies across educational contexts
- EDF5651 Developing expertise in mathematics education
- EDF5654 Teaching music: Theory and practice
- EDF5655 Expertise in teaching
- EDF5656 Practising inclusion
- EDF5657 Indigenous perspectives in professional practice
- EDF5658 Young people: Culture, communities and education
- EDF5661 Designing learning for adults
- EDF5662 Leading local, rural and regional learning and participation
- EDF5663 Education and globalisation in the Asian century
- EDF5664 Learning through participation
- EDF5665 Environmental education, design and learning for sustainability
- EDF5666 Education, development and ecological sustainability
- EDF5667 Positive behaviour support
- EDF5674 Engaging with practices of contemporary science
- EDF5691 Professional project
- EDF5692 Professional practice in special and inclusive education
- EDF5693 Using and evaluating research evidence
- EDF5694 Taking a stand in education debates
- EDF5695 Self-study as professional inquiry
- EDF5810 VCAL and VET at school
- EDF5814 Creative research approaches
60 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in early childhood settings.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/postgrad/edu-06.html) for information.
Related areas of study
D6001 Master of Teaching