12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit is offered in alternate (even-numbered) years only.
This unit offers students the opportunity to learn about creative research methods and how to apply practical and theoretical knowledge to inquiry projects across school, workplace and community contexts. Students learn about the growing discourses of arts-based research, such as video, performance, ethnodrama and computer-mediated arts methods. Using this knowledge, students design and implement a small project. They work collaboratively to develop their project with an organisation of relevance to them. They are encouraged to critically examine the links between creativity, building community and social inclusion. No previous experience or expertise in the arts is required to participate and excel in this unit.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding and appropriate application of arts-based research theory and practices
- inquire through an applied project, into the collaborative, diverse and dynamic nature of spaces, places and practices among individuals, communities and in societies
- demonstrate a capacity to critically reflect, evaluate and improve knowledge within a creative research context.
Independent study (internship) (4000 words, 50%)
Case study research report (4000 words, 50%)
Flexible mode offers a stand-alone online offering that allows students to learn and engage in content and assessment in a supported way. It also provides a face-to-face component of 12 hours over the semester to engage students with the online learning content, which students can attend if they are able and interested.
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for flexible students:
- 12 contact hours and 24 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester or
- 36 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester
- Additional requirements (all students):
- independent study to meet the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Option for Master of Education in:
General education studies
Elective for Master of Teaching in:
EDF6005 and EDF6007