This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2017
and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined
in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Faculty of Information Technology
Data science addresses aspects of how to capture, manage and use the huge volumes of data generated by businesses, organisations and science in the Information Age. This minor spans technical areas such as programming and databases, through modelling, visualisation and analysis, as well as legal and ethical issues. As well as providing a technical depth component to students in information technology and computer science, this minor will provide a breadth component together with practical skills to students from other disciplines that generate and deal with large amounts of data, from the sciences, through business and commerce to the humanities.
Data science is listed in the Bachelor of Information Technology at Clayton as a minor.
Minor requirements (24 points)
Students wishing to complete this minor must also complete level 1 maths units and an introductory programming unit.
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited to the minor.
Successful completion of the minor can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- C2000 Bachelor of Information Technology
Students in this course can complete the minor by using 24 points of their free electives or, where, relevant prescribed FIT electives.*
Students in other single bachelor's degrees may be eligible to complete the minor by using 24 points of their free electives.
Successful completion of the minor can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Information Technology component in the following double degrees:*
- B2017 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Information Technology
- B2018 Bachelor of Business Specialist and Bachelor of Information Technology
- B2025 Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Information Technology
- B2015 Bachelor of Commerce Specialist and Bachelor of Information Technology
- F2005 Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Information Technology
- D3009 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Information Technology**
- F2006 Bachelor of Fine Art and Bachelor of Information Technology
- C2002 Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- C2003 Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science