This major addresses interpersonal and organisational communication, the interplay between the media and culture, and the organisation, processes and effects of traditional and new communications technologies in the South African contexts.
In this major, we explore:
- effective communication in interpersonal, organisational, corporate and intercultural contexts
- the interplay between the mass media (particularly the new media and social networks); and culture, with its implications for work and for society in general; and
- research fundamentals in our discipline
- the successful operation of a communication consultancy.
Communication and media studies is offered in the Bachelor of Social Science at Monash South Africa as a major or a minor.
In addition to achieving the broad outcomes of their course, students successfully completing this major will be able to:
- articulate an advanced understanding of the interrelated disciplines of communication and media studies
- apply core theoretical concepts of communications and media studies to specify debates in contemporary society.