This course, offered by the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, targets professionals working within the health care sector who wish to expand their knowledge and skills in the management of health services. It provides core competencies in health management, including leadership, human resource and financial management of health services.
Postgraduate - Course
This course entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019 and should be read in conjunction with information provided in the 'Faculty information' section of this Handbook by the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Admission and fees
Course progression map
1 year PT
You have a maximum of 3 years to complete this course including any periods of intermission and suspension, and must be continuously enrolled throughout.
Mode and location
Multi-modal (Alfred Hospital)
You are required to attend a number of compulsory blocks of on-campus/on-site study days.
Graduate Certificate of Health Management
This course is not available to international students.
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework Level 8 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework Level 8 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will be able to:
- apply a detailed understanding of the principles of financial and resource management to a health care context
- understand the difference between leadership and management
- critically appraise the interface between health care management theory and practice
- develop skills in the analysis of management problems and problem solving techniques
- demonstrate the interpersonal, communication and team leadership skills appropriate for senior health care managers
- demonstrate skills in literature review, report writing, oral presentations, verbal and visual communications
- demonstrate knowledge and develop skills in two areas of interest.
This course is accredited by The Australasian College of Health Service Management (ACHSM) for college entry and advancement purposes.
The course comprises 24 points structured into four units.
The course progression mapcourse progression map (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/maps/map-m4006.pdf) provides guidance on unit enrolment for each semester of study.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
You must complete 4 units (24 points) from the following:
- Clinical leadership and management
- Economics and financial management in health care
- Law for health systems
- Principles of health care quality improvement
- Foundations of health policy
- Principles of health systems
Progression to further studies
Successful completion of this course may provide a pathway to the Graduate Diploma of Health Management.