6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
, or , or or by permission
This unit will develop the students understanding of conceptual thinking in contemporary illustration. It will introduce them to new approaches to image making that do not rely on literal or obvious visual reference. The art of humour, wit, metaphor and abstraction will be utilised in the answering of each brief in order to strengthen the students' illustration and intellectual skills and consequently their confidence as strong conceptual visual communicators. They will be encouraged toward experimentation and exploration of both traditional and digital illustrative techniques.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Develop strong conceptual and communication skills through the use of hand generated, mechanical or digital image making;
- Respond to a brief with an open mind to experimentation and exploration of their chosen medium;
- Confidently respond to any given text or concept through an articulate and well executed image;
- Understand the place of illustration as a respected element of contemporary art and visual communication;
- Conceptualise and execute images quickly when required;
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information