6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Admission to MMM & MMDes course
This unit introduces the student to the different aspects of digital imaging for multimedia. The process of creating and using digital imaging effectively is defined and students will gain an understanding of the theory behind the inclusion of digital images in multimedia production. Students undertake project work which explores a range of technical skills and design concepts for incorporating digital images into multimedia production.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Understand the process of converting visual material into a digital format using scanning and image capturing technology;
- Understand the types of digital imaging including still graphics, animation and video, 2D and 3D;
- Understand the composition of the digital image including resolution and compression formats;
- Have the skills to manipulate digital images using digital editing software;
- Have the skills to create a digital image using digital editing software;
- Be aware of the different digital image formats applicable to different multimedia authoring environments;
- Understand the process of inclusion of digital images into multimedia authoring environments.
Individual projects (75%)
Essay 1250 words (25%)
12 hours per week including a 1-hour lecture, 2 studio hours and 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information