6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit teaches different tools and techniques used for research in Urban Planning and Design (e.g. GIS, Remote Sensing, and Statistics) and provides hands-on training of their application in the context of strategic land use planning.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge in the substantive areas of strategic planning (land use, transport, environment);
- Apply skills in GIS and statistics to analyse and research planning problems for innovative solutions;
- Gain capability to analyse the (ir)rationality of different land use arrangements in a city;
- Effectively communicate research findings both verbally and visually;
- Be able to work both independently and as a part of a team.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours. The remaining 9 hours are to be used for self and group learning activities.
See also Unit timetable information