6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Only students enrolled in Bachelor of Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) can enrol in this unit.
This is the second part of level-one Impact through science core studies of the Bachelor of Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours). It consists of two modules, undertaken in parallel: leadership and the big issues of our time. In the leadership module students will continue to develop and apply adaptive leadership tools. The big issues of our time are explored in a module examining how science and policy can impact decision-making.Teamwork is explored through several assignments including students undertaking peer-consultations on leadership challenges they have identified. A 'dialogue' evening series will provide opportunities for networking and intimate discussions with leaders from a variety of industries. Students will build relationships with mentors.
On completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Critique the key tools of adaptive leadership demonstrating critical thinking capacity;
- Apply leadership skills and experiment with interventions in complex systems;
- Analyse and synthesise major global challenges using scientific evidence;
- Demonstrate and reflect upon how to build and work in functional teams;
- Produce a mentoring plan that reflects the development of self-awareness and leadership aspirations.
Continuous assessment: 10%
Student-led seminar: 20%
Science in policy project: 20%
Leadership quest: 50%
- One 1-hour online activity, one 1-hour seminar and one 3-hour workshop per week
- Four 2-hour 'dialogue' sessions (evening) per semester
See also Unit timetable information