6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
One aim of this unit is to improve student skills in information literacy and scientific writing. The second aim is for students to identify and research issues and questions to develop their knowledge of biomolecular pharmaceutical products. Students will undertake literature searches addressing the manufacture, purification and formulation of these products. The unit is compatible with Monash University's goals for research lead teaching.
At the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Explain the steps involved in industrial-scale cell culture mediated production and purification of a recombinant protein pharmaceutical active
- Describe the structure and function of excipients required for formulation of biomolecules
- Design a formulated biomolecular pharmaceutical product
Online modules (and reports) 10% each (20%); Individual assignment 20%, oral presentation 10%; Written assignment report 50%
Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Twenty-four 1-hour lectures
- Six 1-hour applieds/workshops
See also Unit timetable information