6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester B 2019 (On-campus)
Students will work with an academic supervisor on an experimental or theoretical project in an area such as: observational astronomy and astrophysics, condensed matter physics and nanotechnology, electron microscopy and diffraction, particle physics, ultra cold atomic gases, biophotonics and biomedical imaging, optics and imaging (using light, electrons and atoms), x-ray and synchrotron-based studies.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Plan aspects of a project and manage related timelines.
- Communicate effectively with a project supervisor, colleagues and technical staff.
- Access and review scientific literature.
- Maintain a clear record of work done.
- Analyse and interpret results in terms of related physics theory.
- Write appropriate scientific reports, both interim and final.
- Communicate by oral presentation.
Project work - logbook, competence, planning and initiative: 40%
Written progress reports: 10%
Oral presentation: 15%
Final report: 35%
An average of 12 hours of study per week split between independent research, collaborative research, meeting with supervisors and work on assessed items.
See also Unit timetable information