6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
, , or MTH1085
Functions of several variables, partial derivatives, extreme values, Lagrange multipliers. Multiple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals. Vector differential calculus; grad, div and curl. Integral theorems of Gauss and Stokes. Use of a computer algebra package.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand and apply multivariable calculus to problems in the mathematical and physical sciences;
- Find and classify the extrema of functions of several variables;
- Compute Taylor series for functions of several variables;
- Compute line, surface and volume integrals in Cartesian, cylindrical and spherical polar coordinates;
- Apply the integral theorems of Green, Gauss and Stokes;
- Use computer algebra packages to solve mathematical problems;
- Present a mathematical argument in written form.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 3 hours and 10 minutes.
End of semester examination (3 hours): 60% (Hurdle)
Continuous assessment: 40% (Hurdle)
Hurdle requirement: To pass this unit a student must achieve at least 50% overall and at least 40% for both the end-of-semester examination and continuous assessment components.
Three 1-hour lectures and one 2-hour applied class per week
See also Unit timetable information