24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 to First semester 2020 (On-campus)
Enrolment in an approved Honours or Graduate Diploma in the discipline of Materials Science
Students are required to complete a research project involving some original work on a topic chosen in consultation with the unit coordinator and their academic supervisor.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the in-depth knowledge of materials science fundamentals to choose, formulate, perform and interpret the results of a definite piece of work;
- Summarise (via writing and presentation) the deeper understanding and significance of the topic to peers, experts and the community at large;
- Judge and assess the OHSE and risk related consequences of chosen course of action;
- Relate and describe the connections between materials science and fundamental sciences of physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology as well as engineering;
- Demonstrate a wider appreciation of the professional and ethical requirements of materials science.
Literature survey: 10%
Thesis, seminar and oral examination: 90%