6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
and or equivalent.
, , .
This unit is designed to provide students with a theoretical and practical appreciation of the central role marketing communication plays in the general business environment. The unit provides a framework for examining, analysing and evaluating various aspects of the marketing communications process and the relevant marketing communications tools most commonly used. It is further designed to assist business managers to make choices regarding which marketing tools to use under a variety of dynamic environments. Topics covered include: advertising, PR, personal selling, direct selling, Internet marketing, sponsorship, sales promotion and emerging technologies and their potential.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- demonstrate a detailed understanding of the marketing communication strategies used to build brands
- understand and apply marketing communication functions
- analyse and apply the marketing communication processes as they apply to specific targets
- analyse the social, legal and ethical issues associated with marketing communication from both a national and international perspective
- determine and apply the processes associated with evaluating the effectiveness of marketing communications across a range of media vehicles.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information