6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
120 credit points completed
Specific modulus and specific strength; 3D stress and 3D strain tensors; anisotropic elasticity; composite lamina and composite laminate; hygrothermal strain and hygrothermal stress analysis of composite structures; failure theories for a composite lamina; micromechanical analysis of a composite lamina; classical lamination theory for composite laminate, failure analysis of composite laminates, design of composite laminates, finite element analysis of composite materials and structures.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe the application of composite materials in modern industries and explain the advantages of applying composite materials in structures.
- Identify the stress-strain relationships for anisotropic materials.
- Analyse the strength and stiffness of composite laminate structures.
- Design composite laminates to meet strength, stiffness and cost requirements.
- Generate finite element analysis on anisotropic materials and composite laminate structures.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours ): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours of lectures, 2 hours of laboratory/tutorial classes and 8 hours private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information