18 points, SCA Band 1, 0.375 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Successful completion of level 1 and 2 of any design specialisation in the Master of Design or by permission
This unit is the capstone studio for those students who have, with permission, undertaken a customised suite of design units from across collaborative design, Interaction design and/or Multimedia Design. Having been exposed to an array of discipline studios over 3 semesters, this unit allows students to develop a high level conceptual approach to design problem solving relevant to their preceding studio experiences. Drawing from the design processes and methodologies developed in previous studios they are able to discover, define, design, develop and realise a unique, individualised and sophisticated design outcome. Students engage deeply with their chosen project and are able to further develop and advance their efficacy in design.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Analyse and respond to a design problem with a unique combination of skills and methodologies;
- Define a problem or opportunity based upon research methodologies to focus upon attainable but challenging goals and outcomes;
- Synthesise and articulate their design process;
- Realise their design outcome(s) to an sophisticated level of production;
- Understand and evaluate the efficacy of their own design concepts;
- Demonstrate their individual design skills and thinking through a bespoke design methodology;
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
100% in-semester assessment
24 hours per week including 8 contact hours plus 16 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information