6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Term 1 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- Trimester 1 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- Term 2 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- Trimester 2 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- Term 3 2019 (On-campus)
- Trimester 3 2019 (On-campus)
- Term 4 2019 (On-campus)
A program of individual research and writing on a topic pursuant to a proposal approved by the Postgraduate Studies Committee. The topic may be one which does not fall within the scope of coursework subjects offered during the year or, where the topic is dealt with in such a subject, the mode of assessment in that subject may not provide the opportunity to research and write a significant paper.
On completion of this unit students will have:
- developed a high level of personal autonomy and accountability in planning and executing a substantial piece of research on a particular legal issue;
- acquired an advanced knowledge of legal research principles and methods, evidenced by their ability to locate, update and apply the law in their chosen area of research;
- demonstrated an advanced and integrated understanding of a complex body of knowledge in the relevant area of law;
- developed their capacity to analyse critically, reflect on, and synthesise, information, problems, policies, concepts and theories, evidenced by their ability to develop and sustain a convincing 'thesis' throughout their research;
- demonstrated advanced written communication skills; and
- made a contribution to knowledge in their area of research.
Research paper (7,500 words): 100%
Please note that there is an application process for this unit, available at: http://law.monash.edu.au/current-students/enrolments/enrolment-guidelines-pg-research-units.html