6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
For students who commenced their LLB (Hons) course in 2015 or later:
; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
For students who commenced their LLB course prior to 2015:
LAW1100 OR LAW1101 and LAW1102 or LAW1104 and
This unit examines the linked areas of competition and consumer law. Building on prior knowledge in contract law, constitutional law and property law, the unit first examines the structure and content of the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), and examines the theory and policy basis for the ACL. Specific topics include provisions dealing with unfair terms, consumer guarantees, unconscionability, manufacturers' liability, and product safety standards. The unit then examines the competition provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) and includes a critical analysis of the following topics: cartel conduct, misuse of market power, vertical conduct and mergers.
At the successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- identify, research, evaluate and synthesise legal and policy issues regarding Australia's legislative regime for competition and consumer law;
- critically assess the capacity of the legislative regime and its underlying regulatory strategies to promote just outcomes for the marketplace and the community;
- apply sophisticated intellectual and practical skills to evaluate, synthesis and apply provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act and related case law and generate appropriate and reasoned responses to complex legal problems;
- communicate effectively and appropriately to specified audiences; and
- work autonomously with accountability and professional responsibility.
- develop awareness of the role of law in regulating and facilitating commercial transactions.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Mid-semester assignment: 2,000 word 40%
- Examination (2 hours and 30 minutes): 60%