6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit deals with the practical aspects of making models in a workshop, embracing workshop practices, modelling techniques and using manual or semi-automated tools. Students undertake programmed exercises in modelmaking including three dimensional form development, and gain an understanding of the physical and chemical properties of modelling materials
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Have a knowledge of the range of modelling types and their applications;
- Be able to make simple models of the design objects in the workshop;
- Have a general understanding of fabrication techniques and finishing processes involved in the execution of prescribed design modelling projects;
- Have a working knowledge of the application and operation of manual and semi automatic equipment;
- Understand occupational health and safety policy requirements of the modelmaking workshop environment and be able to demonstrate safe working practices on a selected range of equipment.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information