6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Teaching Period 3 2019 (Online)
Students must be enrolled in course M6007.
This unit provides an understanding of the microeconomic approach to resource allocation, both in general and specifically, in relation to the health sector. It introduces students to the use of economic tools in the analysis of the 'market' for health care, in terms of efficiency and equity. It also provides an analytical framework for assessment of the Australian health care system, and health policy generally, from an economic perspective.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand basic microeconomic concepts and their application to the health sector
- understand the role, limitations and usefulness of economic analysis and economics as a way of thinking, particularly when applied to the health care sector
- understand the organisation and delivery of health services from an economic perspective
- understand the Australian Health Care system from an economic perspective, including an analysis of the reasons for growth in expenditure.
Within semester assessment: 100%