6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Completion of 24 points of graduate units from FIT.
Entry to this unit is subject to approval of the Associate Dean Education (ADE), on the advice of the relevant Masters Program Leader. An application form is required.
This unit enables students to read widely in a relevant topic within the fields of information technology, information systems or information management, under supervision. It may cover an area not offered in any other fifth-year level unit, or involve building greater in-depth knowledge in an area with which they already have some familiarity. Details for the reading unit will be defined and approved individually for each student and will include objectives, assessment details, due dates and an initial reading list. Assessment comprises a research paper or review (6000-10,000 words), project report, or equivalent. Enrolment into Reading Units and allocation of a supervising academic will be approved by the Associate Dean (Education).
At the completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- analyse, synthesise and construct arguments from a range of published sources;
- critique and evaluate others ideas, opinions and arguments;
- explain ideas for scrutiny to a supervisor;
- demonstrate self-reliance and time management skills in order to gain greater independence as a learner;
- demonstrate the communication skills necessary to work effectively in a close, cooperative relationship with a supervisor.
Research assignment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week. Students meet weekly with their supervisors for approximately 30 minutes to set goals and report on achievements and difficulties.
See also Unit timetable information