6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
FIT5135 or FIT9020 or equivalent
Enterprise networks consists of several highly complex devices that interconnect in likewise complex configurations and modes of operation. While todays network technology has come a long way in terms of high-speed data transmission, secure management components, and software-driven administration, QoS targets have come to the fore as converged technologies have taken over both enterprise and home users of network technologies. This unit will provide students with fundamentals and theoretical foundations of Quality of Service and management aspects of modern network infrastructures. On the basis of industry best practices, research- and experience-driven standardisation, this unit will cover topics pertinent to delivering quality, security, manageability and other targets that are relevant in large-scale networks. Students will also acquire practical skills needed to plan, install, configure and manage networks through laboratory activities and projects.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain key concepts of quality of service across a range of technologies, network protocols and standards;
- describe different management techniques;
- evaluate and use quality of service schemes and network management techniques.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Examination: (2 hours) 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information